President William Ruto inaugurated a Sh2.8 billion affordable housing project in Ruiru, Kiambu County. The housing project Boma Estate will be spearheaded by Kings Developers on government-owned land measuring approximately 2.47 hectares near the Kenya Prisons Staff Training College.
Project Scope/Prices Boma Estate
The project aims to construct 1,050 houses, including studio apartments, and two and three-bedroom apartments, with prices starting from Sh1.5 million.
- Nearby Educational Institutions: Residents have easy access to esteemed educational institutions such as Kenyatta University and Zetech University, facilitating educational pursuits without the hassle of long commutes.
- Convenience to Nearest Banks and Fuel Stations: Proximity to banking facilities and fuel stations ensures residents’ financial transactions and transportation needs are met conveniently.
- Local Schools: Families residing in the area benefit from the availability of primary and secondary schools like Njema and Ruiru Peak Academy, providing quality education within reach.
- Nearby Hospital Facilities: Access to healthcare is assured with nearby hospital facilities such as Nazareth Hospital and Kenyatta Hospital, ensuring prompt medical attention in case of emergencies.
- Major Public Transport Routes: The housing project enjoys connectivity to major public transport routes leading to Nairobi and Thika, facilitating easy commuting for residents.
- Provision for Gas Cylinders: Each unit includes provision for gas cylinders in the kitchen yard, ensuring convenient cooking facilities for residents.
- CCTV and Controlled Access: Enhanced security features include CCTV surveillance at entry and exit points, controlled access, and well-planned security checkpoints, ensuring the safety and security of residents.
- Provision for TV Points and WIFI: The inclusion of TV points and WIFI provisions offers residents access to entertainment and internet connectivity within their homes.
- Solar Street Lighting and Solar Lights: Sustainable lighting solutions such as solar street lighting and solar lights in common areas contribute to energy efficiency and environmental conservation.
- Outdoor Kids Play Area and Community Hall: The housing project includes recreational facilities such as an outdoor kids play area, promoting a healthy lifestyle for families, and a community hall for societal gatherings and events.
- Cabro Paved Driveways: The use of cabro paved driveways ensures durability and ease of access within the housing project.
- Parking Facilities: Each apartment includes one parking space, available at an additional cost, providing residents with secure parking options within the premises.
- Anti-Termite Foundation and Borehole: The inclusion of anti-termite foundation safeguards the structural integrity of the buildings, while a borehole ensures a sustainable water supply for residents.
- Secured Boundary Wall: A secured boundary wall offers added privacy and security, delineating the housing project from its surroundings.
- Green Spaces and Attractive Landscaping: The project features green spaces and attractive landscaping throughout, creating a serene and aesthetically pleasing environment for residents to enjoy and unwind.
The government aims to build 50,000 units in Kiambu County and over 200,000 units nationwide annually. President Ruto emphasized the government’s commitment to providing affordable housing, aligning with the Kenya Kwanza development agenda. The government plans to utilize over 4,000 acres of land to build 600,000 housing units.
Government’s Commitment to Revive Projects
President Ruto affirmed his government’s dedication to reviving stalled projects across the country. Plans to source Sh900 billion to pay contractors and complete these projects are underway.
Social Amenities and Sustainability Features
The project will include social amenities such as 900 parking spaces, green spaces, borehole, and anti-termite foundation. It will integrate greening technology, solar lighting, CCTV, controlled access, and well-planned security checkpoints.
Job Creation and Local Community Involvement
The project is expected to create at least 3,000 direct jobs for both skilled and unskilled labor. Local communities will actively participate in the supply chain, with an emphasis on inclusion and support for women-owned businesses.
Government Commitment to Neighborhood Construction and Sustainability
The project aligns with the government’s commitments to constructing and sustaining neighborhoods, emphasizing job creation, inclusion, and environmental sustainability.
These visual representations encapsulate the key aspects and objectives of the affordable housing project in Ruiru, Kiambu County.
1.What are the government’s affordable housing projects in Kenya? The Affordable Housing Program (AHP) stands as a pivotal government initiative under the Big 4 Agenda. This initiative focuses on delivering decent and reasonably priced housing options to low and middle-income households.
2.What is the price range of affordable housing in Kenya? Affordable housing in Kenya typically costs around Kes 2,400 per month for a one-bedroom apartment.
3.Who qualifies for Boma Yangu? To be eligible for Boma Yangu, applicants must be Kenyan citizens aged 18 years and above. They must possess valid documentation from the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA), including a Personal Identification Number (PIN), and be registered on the Boma Yangu portal.
4.Who will construct affordable houses? Private developers, utilizing both public and private land across the country, will undertake the construction and financing of affordable houses.
5.How does the affordable housing program distinguish itself from other housing schemes in Kenya? Unlike other housing schemes in Kenya, the affordable housing program relies on private sector funding to facilitate the provision of homes.
6.Where and how can I apply to purchase an affordable house? To purchase an affordable house under the program, individuals must first register on the Boma Yangu housing portal. Upon registration, their accounts will enable them to contribute to the housing fund and indicate their home preferences.
7.How will the houses be allocated? House allocation operates through a fair and transparent system, employing a first-come, first-served basis. The process is devoid of human intervention and contact to ensure fairness and integrity.
Related Real Estate News