Looking to travel with your furry friend but not sure how to make it work? Travelling with a dog can be challenging, but with the right preparation, it can be a manageable and enjoyable experience. As someone who regularly travels with a service dog, I wanted to share my tips and insights on how to make your trip with your furry friend a success.
In this video, I recount my experience traveling with my service dog, Cues, on a 14-hour flight from JFK to Kenya. As I am relocating to Kenya for five years, I needed to bring my dog along with me. In the video, I share valuable tips on how to ensure your dog’s comfort during the flight and make traveling with your pet a pleasant experience.
Here are three key takeaways from Richard Debs’ video:
- Reduce your dog’s food intake and take them for a long walk before the trip.
- Use the pet relief area at the airport before boarding.
- Consider using travel credit cards to make your travel experience more comfortable.
To make your trip with your furry friend go smoothly, follow these simple steps:
- Two days before the trip, reduce your dog’s food intake.
- Take your dog for a long walk before the trip so they can relieve themselves.
- On the day of the trip, skip your dog’s meal and only give them a small amount of water.
- Take your dog for another long walk before heading to the airport.
- Locate the pet relief area at the airport before boarding and let your dog use it.
- Consider using travel credit cards that offer perks such as lounge access, free food, and drinks to make your trip more comfortable. However, be cautious not to carry a balance on your credit card.
During the video, Mark also mentions a few resources that can help make your travel experience easier:
- Clear – a service that helps travellers skip the security line at the airport.
- JFK airport’s pet relief area – an area where your furry friend can relieve themselves before boarding.
- American Express Platinum Card – a credit card that offers various perks for travelers.
- The Centurion Lounge – an exclusive lounge for AMEX Platinum Card members.
As someone who frequently travels with a service dog, my best advice is to plan and prepare in advance. Be sure to research your airline’s pet policy and the pet relief area at the airport. Follow the steps outlined above to ensure your furry friend is comfortable and prepared for the journey. And consider using travel credit cards to make your travel experience smoother and more enjoyable.
Q: What is Clear, and how does it work?
A: Clear is a service that helps travelers skip the security line at the airport. It uses biometric technology to identify you and expedite the security process.
Q: Can my dog relieve themselves on the airplane?
A: No, dogs cannot relieve themselves on the airplane. It is recommended to take them to the pet relief area at the airport before boarding.
Q: What is The Centurion Lounge, and how can I access it?
A: The Centurion Lounge is an exclusive lounge for AMEX Platinum Card members. You can access it by showing your AMEX Platinum Card and a same-day boarding pass.